Make a spooky spider vase centerpiece
Paint a clear glass vase with rubber-stamped spiders and fill it with a bouquet of freaky flowers made from pipe cleaners and a variety of crafting bits.
- Black pipe cleaners
- Bat stencils or cookie cutters
- Regular black felt and stiffened black felt
- Crafts glue
- Glue gun and sticks
- Assorted fake jewels
- Novelty wedding pearls
- Silver craft leaves
- Black pom-poms
- Small wiggle eyes
- Black "eyelash" yarn
- Artificial flower stamens
- Assorted black feathers
- Spider rubber stamp
- Black ink dauber suitable for glass, such as Delta Purecolor Rich Pigment Ink
- Plain, clear glass vase
- White sea glass, pebbles or other floral-arrangement stones
1. Assemble flowers: Make stems by twisting 2 to 4 pipe cleaners together. Fold 1/2" of flower end of stem into an L-shape so you have something to glue flower to.
2. Trace bat cookie cutter and cut shape from stiff black felt. Decorate with fake jewels; hot glue to a stem. Cut a free-form cat head from felt and decorate with fake jewels and "whiskers." Glue silver craft leaves around a black pom-pom to make a giant daisy. Glue wiggle eyes to tips of a free-form felt flower and add "stamen." Make a hairy monster by wrapping top of stem with eyelash yarn. Add craft store stamen and wiggle eyes. Glue floppy felt petals to a fancy feather to create a fantasy flycatcher. Finish flowers by winding short pieces of pipe cleaner around a pencil to make coils. Twist once around stem to attach.
3. Make vase: Load rubber stamp with black ink and press it against vase. Repeat until you are happy with design.
4. Let dry overnight for temporary use. For permanent design, place vase on a large baking sheet and bake in a preheated 150°F oven for 10 minutes. Let cool completely before handling.
5. Fill vase about halfway with stones. Use stones to anchor flowers in vase.
Back to allyou.com.
Make the room glow with peat-pot luminaries
Use these cackling cuties on a mantle, as dinner table place markers or to light the pathway to the party house.
Medium or large peat pots (we used 3" x 3" and 4" x 4" rounds)
Votive candles in glass cups
1. Carve a jack-o'-lantern face into side of each peat pot with a craft knife. Try different faces on each pot.
2. Line pots up in a row. Place a glass cup with a votive inside each pot and light candle when ready to use.
Be sure to use candles safely: Keep burning candles within sight at all times and make sure to extinguish them when leaving a room or going to bed. Visit www.candles.org for more tips.
Back to allyou.com.
Make spooky lanterns
- Witch and moon templates
- Printer and printing paper
- 3 orange paper bags ( )
- 3 votive candles
- 3 glass votive holers
1. Print out template. To make three luminaries, print out three copies of each template. Cut out shape, following image outlines as closely as possible.
2. Tape a moon shape inside each bag. Position in the upper right hand corner of each bag.
3. Center a witch inside one bag. Tape it in place. This will be the center luminaria. On a second bag, position a witch almost directly below moon. Tape in place, folding bristle end of broom around inside of bag. This luminaria will go on the right. On the third bag, position a witch to left of moon, so she appears to be flying off left-hand edge of bag. Tape in place, folding broom handle around side.
4. Place each candle in a holder. Light, then set in bag. (If you're using luminarias outdoors, fill bottoms with sand first to weigh bags down.)
For more craft projects, subscribe to ALL YOU magazine. You'll getif you sign up now!